April 26, 2010

Mike Tucker

There is no question that climbing is a dangerous sport. But the system does work. It has been tried and tested for many years. It's terrible to see someone going out to do something that they love, and get injured or killed from it.


Last Saturday, April 17th a good friend of mine, Mike Tucker, took a terrible fall while climbing in the Red River Gorge. Mike was helivaced out of the Gorge and was in ICU for 7 days. Mike passed away on Saturday, April 24.


I was with Mike when he fell, and was by his side until we put him into the ambulance. This experience shook me up enough to question allot of my ethics. Climbing has exploded in the past few years and the need to enforce safety and evacuation plans are at an all time high. I would like to schedule a sport climbing "refresher" course. People get to comfortable on a rope and we are all guilty for not taking it seriously.


I drove Mike's car from the accident to the place where he was camping. When I got into the car the cd he was listening to was Bon Iver. He had the song "Skinny Love" playing and this was the last song Mike listened to. I drove the thirty minutes playing this song over and over. I think everyone should hear it.



Keep your thoughts and prayers with Mike's family. Not only did we lose a great climber we lost a great friend. He will be dearly missed.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Tyler,

    My sincerest condolences. Yes Mike was a great guy. And yes we get too comfortable and forget or ignore things. You mention that you are questioning your own ethics? How so? Your idea concerning a refresher course is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler,

    I am really sorry man! I grew up with Mike in Cleveland, went to US with him. I went to Boulder with him. I am a fellow climber, and man how fucking sad. I would really appreciate it if you would email me (treinish@gmail.com). Just want to know a bit more, if you aren't comfortable with that, I understand. Hang in there man!

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey cuz,

    First off, I'm sorry for ya and my love goes out to you and Mike's family. I know first hand what it feels like to lose a friend when you are so close to them. It shuck me up when I lost my close friend. I hope you do that refresher course out there, it could do a lot of good. And cuz I pray that you don't stop climbing and that go on to share Mike's story and remind people how fragile life is and how much we mean to one another. Hit me some time.

    I'll be prayin' for ya.

    Peace, Love
    your cuz
    Austin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drove Mikes car from Miguels to Lexington to his parents, I too listened to skinny love the entire way there and almost every day since. I cry everytime i do...

    When i met his parents the only thing i could say is "here is the $27 we found in mikes pack" $27 stupid dollars, thats all i could offer them, i felt so helpless.

    Such a tragedy... Mike made a lasting impression on me that will not be forgotten soon..

    ReplyDelete