September 21, 2009

Agree to Disagree




Latest controversy in the climbing community is secret stash crags.
Some of these crags have been closed for 20+ years (almost as old as me) and people have been climbing here for those 20+ years.

Take Chattanooga for example. I can name more closed crags than I can open. . . Not to mention there are more climbers in Chatt than all of Alabama. I guess before they hand over the title you have to take an ethics class on access sensitive areas.
I seem to be number one for pissing people off. Maybe because i'm young and an easy target. Or I come off as some sort of elitist who really doesn't know shit about climbing, but sports an ego on his shoulder. What ever the case is, I don't want to be the guy who comes in and messes things up for people. But I will ask questions. How do you learn the proper if no one teaches you?
If some of these gray areas in AL where in Chatt, they would be no question climbing spots. It amazes me the amount of people who start confrontation here. Maybe it is since we sport such a small group of people, there are no real way out of hiding. Small town hype, that everyone knows everyone (and what they're doing).

The number one answer I get, is to keep your mouth closed. Never mention it. What these guys probably aren't realizing, they are getting OLD! If these ethics keep on, the places will be deserted. Left to only the old guys who wouldn't pass on the knowledge to others, in fear of the places having traffic.








BY NO MEANS am I trying to start an argument with anyone! Only logical questions that I would love to get a rational answer for.


QUESTION:
How can Chatt have 4000 climbers compared to our 100, and not have HALF of the problems?

2 comments:

  1. you're a good funny picture finder...
    I have more to say on this subject. I have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, AL has WAY less climbing drama than Chattanooga. I love Chat-town and I love the people in it but, there are just as many, or more access sensitive areas up there with cooresponding drama than I have ever heard in AL. AL is, in a sense, tight knit, for better or worse. I kind of like the idea that there is no where to hide because it forces people to deal with the an access problem right then and there. Sometimes it is ugly, but I will admit that even the people who I have had arguements or brushes with in AL, I call friends.

    BTW...as far as the "messing it up for everyone part." Keeping doing what you are doing. You know the difference in open, closed, and grey and that is more than some people can say.

    I could keep going on this one but I'm done typing for the day.

    ReplyDelete